MQC+ Oilseed Analyser
Easier, Faster, More Accurate Analysis of Oilseeds
Time-domain NMR (TD-NMR) is accepted throughout the world for determining the oil and water in seeds (ISO 10565), and residues after crushing (ISO 10632). In particular, it has value:
- Where the accuracy and reliability of the measurement is important for determining crop value
- Where high throughput is required for testing laboratories
- Where a variety of seeds, many of which are non-standard, need to be measured for research
- For measuring sunflower seeds where TD-NMR is generally accepted to be the most reliable method
Two versions of the MQC+ are available for this application:
- The MQC+ Large Seed Analyser is normally used for large seeds and seed volumes (40 and 80ml), typically used for determining the value of agricultural produce
- The MQC+ Small Seed Analyser is for single seeds and small seed volumes (up to 14ml), typically used for breeding and other research.
TD-NMR is used in the ISO 10565 method, which has been adopted by FOSFA (Federation of Oils, Seeds and Fats Associations).
Minimal sample preparation
Simply transfer the sample into a tube, weigh then analyse in seconds. It can be measured ‘as-is’ without grinding.
TD-NMR is a bulk measurement technique and so measures all the oil in the sample regardless of the particle size. TD-NMR is the method of choice for sunflower seeds since it is unaffected by colour; as such it is used as an official USDA GIPSA method.
Auto-weighing feature improves the ergonomics of analysis on the MQC+ Large Seed Analyser; this allows operators to measure 100’s of samples per day.
The same sample may be measured repeatedly by the MQC+, analysed by a destructive method, used for growing or preserved.
Automated analysis of up to 125 samples using the MQC+ Small Seed Analyser with MQ-Auto.
Simple linear calibration
Oil and water calibrations may be obtained using just three samples.
A range of sample sizes are available on both the Large and Small Seed Analyser.
No hazardous solvents or chemicals involved
The MQC+ does not require solvents which are hazardous to use & costly to dispose of.
The range of probe sizes and associated sample sizes are given in the table below:
|MQC+ Model||Sample size (Diameter / Volume)||Typical applications|
|Large Seed analyser||51 mm / 80 ml and 40 mm / 40 ml||Large seeds and nuts, e.g. sunflower, soy, groundnut (peanut), almond, castor, jatropha. Large volumes of rape and linseed.|
|Small Seed Analyser||26 mm / 14 ml and 18 mm / 8 ml||Small volumes, single seeds (e.g. corn, jatropha) and automation.|
|10 mm / 1 ml and 5 mm / 0.2 ml||Single seeds and small seed volumes (e.g. arabidopsis, camelina for research).|
To increase laboratory productivity and efficiency, the MQC+ Small Seed Analyser can be used with the MQ-Auto sample automation system (8 or 14ml volumes only). The MQ-Auto is based around a high-performance robot arm and a range of sample racks and conditioning stations. A balance is required and the bar code reader (for sample identification) is strongly recommended for this application.